Situated in a field that had once been part of the Old Impington Hall Estate is a memorial to Elizabeth Woodcock, the lady who was buried in the snow for eight days and eight nights in 1799.
On February 2nd, 1799 she had been travelling back to her home in what today is known as Station Road, Impington from Cambridge Market, en route she stopped of a drink into the Three Tuns Public House on Castle Hill and while there it started to come down with heavy snow. Carrying on her journey on horseback, her horse got startled as she got to Impington and she was thrown from it. Chasing after it she eventually got buried in the snow and here she stayed for eight days before being discovered by William Munsey. Though she survived her ordeal, imprisoned in an icy caven, she was to die five months later on July 24th. She was then buried in an unmarked grave at Impington. Shortly after death a memorial stone, which was paid for by subscriptions, was place at the place she was imprisoned.
Drawing showin William Munsey and the Original Stone, c1810
By 1849 the original stone had become defaced by visitors carving their initals on it, so a new memorial was erected on the same spot. Later the memorial was moved to the edge of the field as it got in the way of ploughing before in the late 1890s the then owner of Impington Hall, William Alexander Macfarlene-Grieve, had it returned to its original place. In doing so, they found the original stone buried beneath the new memorial. Today the old memorial can be found in the Folk Musuem.
Drawning show William Munsey with the new memorial
For more information see:
The Story of Elizabeth Woodcock, compliled by John Whitmore and published by the Histon & Impington Village Society in 2000. Copies can be purchased via Histon Library.